Bengal Gram/Chickpeas means Chana in Hindi or Harbhara in Marathi is one of the most important pulses in India. These are slightly different from garbanzo/kabuli chana and come in black, brown and green colors.I used to take this 'chanyachi usal' or 'harbharyachi usal' in my lunch.As we know,Chanyachi usal is great source of protein diet.Here is typical Maharashtrian style chanyachi usal and it tastes very delicious.
1 cup chana/chickpeas/Bengal gram/harbhara
1 tsp chili powder
1/ 4 tsp turmeric
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
pinch of asafetida/hing
1 strand of curry leaves
1/2 cup onions, chopped
Grind to Paste:
1/4 cup dry coconut, roasted
1/4 cup cooked chana/gram
1/2 cup onions, chopped, roasted
2 –3 big garlic cloves
1 in ginger
1/4 cup cilantro
2 tbsp goda masala / garam masala
1. Soak the chana for about 6 –8 hours or overnight. Pressure cook them with enough water.
2. Combine all the ingredients mentioned and grind to a fine paste.
3. Heat oil in a deep vessel, add asafetida, curry leaves and onions. Sauté till the onions turns translucent.
4. Add the cooked chickpeas, tomatoes, salt, chili powder, turmeric and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for 10 –15 minutes on medium flame.
5. Garnish and serve with hot white rice or with bhakari or poli.